- Your News
- Public Notices
Tractors, dirt and muddy shirts are a new part of what residents will be experiencing when the Franklin County Fair’s main attractions get under way next week.
The big event and its side attractions will be held Tuesday through the following Saturday. However, a fair-sponsored 5K run/walk will officially kick off the event Saturday at the Southern Middle Tennessee Pavilion on Wilton Circle at 7:30 p.m.
This year’s show will bring many new attractions, contests and music to whoever decides to take part in the fair.
Wendy Cowley of the Franklin County Fair Board summed up what the big event is all about.
“We’re a festival community, horse shows, petting zoo’s, kids day, tractor pulls and lots more,” she said. “Be ready.
“We are trying to get bigger and better each year.”
The fair has been a gift from the community’s volunteers for the past eight years, and the board works year round to make sure it is a success. Cowley said.
“The board has been preparing for this year’s fair since January,” she said.
The fair’s five-day schedule has been set.
The lineup includes:
• Aug. 19 at 6:30 p.m. at the fairgrounds at Wilton Circle is the Boots Bows and Bling country western beauty pageant.
• Aug. 20, the carnival opens at 5 p.m. with the Tough Truck Challenge beginning at 6 p.m. where all kinds of trucks engage in off road course, heavy equipment pull, truck tug-o-war and a burnout con-test. While the trucks are doing their thing, spectators can also listen to the band Sonic Fusion, which lights stage also at 6 p.m.
• Aug. 21, the carnival opens at 5 p.m., Kiddies Rodeo at 5:30 p.m. Also at 5:30 p.m. is the Mutton Bustin and Peddle Pull. At 7:30 p.m. is the Demo-lition Derby.
The music for Thursday will include Bryan Dykes, Robert Lee and Moccasin Creek.
• Aug. 22, Kids Day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. that will in-clude $1 admission. There will be lots of demonstrations and competitions for the children.
Mud Volleyball gets under way at 11 a.m., Goat Show at 5 p.m., Country Music Show-down at 6 p.m. with the tractor pull beginning at 7 p.m.
• Aug. 23, 8 a.m. Chick Chain, 10 a.m. Dog Show, 10 a.m. Brothers of the Wheel Car & Motorcycle Show, 10 a.m. Mud Bog. The carnival will open at 1 p.m. with the Cattle Show at 5 p.m. and the Tractor Pull at 7 p.m.
Music for Saturday night will include 8 Ball Aitken, Ho-tel Oscar, Virgil T., and The Plastic Friends.