Riders in the High on the Hog Poker Run cap off a three-hour tour at the Red Roof Pavilion in Winchester City Park on Saturday. The ride is organized by Brothers of the Wheel Motorcycle Club – Franklin County, and kicks off the High on the Hog Festival week.
—Staff Photo by Craven Inions
In taking the High on the Hog Festival to a more elevated level, Smithfield Foods Inc. is contributing $5,000 to the events’ winners’ pool to allow contestants to vie for nearly $20,000 in prize money.
The contribution is part of the company’s 2017 Smokin’ With Smithfield Grant program.
High on the Hog Festival organizers said they are excited to receive the grant which will make the 30th annual contest at Winchester City Park all the more interesting.
The Kansas City Barbecue Society BBQ Contest is at 7 p.m. Friday and continues at 11 a.m. Saturday, which is also when the Traders Bank Backyard BBQ Contest begins.
Jeannie Bates, festival co-organizer said teams will still be added to the entry list through today.
In addition to the barbecue contests, the Prime Time Amusement Carnival opens today at 5 p.m. and will continue nightly through Friday from 5-11 p.m. It will open at noon on Saturday.
Headquartered in Smithfield, Virginia, the Smithfield Foods runs facilities in 26 U.S. states, including the largest slaughterhouse and meat-processing plant in the world, located in Tar Heel, North Carolina. It also has operations in Mexico and in 10 European countries, with a global total of more than 46,000 employees and an annual revenue of $14 billion.
Smokin’ With Smithfield is committed to investing in barbeque, “from providing quality, hand trimmed products for families to prepare in their kitchens and backyard, to supporting passionate barbeque enthusiast engaged in the sport of barbeque contests,” the company said in a published statement.
Smithfield is a great company and is an asset to the barbeque community, High on the Hog organizers said.
Here’s what the contest lineup looks like thus far:
KCBS BBQ Contest
- The Smokin’ C’s BBQ, Athens (Alabama), Chad Cooke
- Hot Cole’s, Gallatin, Jason Cole
- Grey Street BBQ, Avon (Indiana), Nathan Dexter
- Gooby’s BBQ, Winchester, Bill Davis
- Chokin “N” Tha Smoke, Fayetteville, Troy Frassrand
- The AlGood Bar BQ Pit Crew, Cookville, Milt Collins
- G-Que KY, Russelville (Kentucky), Kris Greer
- Warren County Pork Choppers, Bowling Green (Kentucky), Donny Bray
- Camp Bell BBQ, Hazel Green (Alabama), Stephen Campbell
- Wood N Pig Smokers, Knoxville, Buddy Miles
- BBQ r’s Delight, Pine Bluff (Alabama), Candy Weaver
- Bailey’s Smokers, Nashville, Jeff Bailey
- 615 BBQ, Nashville, Scott Morgan
- Smoke Me Silly, Owens Cross Roads (Alabama), Robert Vanderipe
- Big Blue Que, Knoxville, Jeremy Alexander
- Bush League Bar-B-Que, Madison (Alabama), Tony Mancuso
- Bee’s Knees, Athens (Alabama), Brent Bourland.
- Paradise Que, Madison (Alabama), Greg Edmonds
- Bar-B-Que 101, Clinton, Greg Huddleston
- Smoke’m if U Got’m, Nashville, Mickey Bunker
- Bean Bandits, Huntsville (Alabama), Pete Moon
- Big G BBQ, Mufreesboro, George Tomchak
- South Pork, Madison (Alabama), Scott Burton
- Rooters-N-Tooters, Mt. Pleasant, Paul Keltner
- New South BBQ, Hartsell (Alabama), Josh Pruitt
- Backyard Kusine, Clarksville, Ricky Thomas
- Bannyhens Southern Que, Huntsville (Alabama), Torrey Douglas
- Pig Bossman, Milton (Florida), Mike Matthews
- Extra Mile BBQ, Loveland (Ohio), Peter Golob
- W.V. Loc-N-Loaded BBQ, Fraizers Bottom (West Virginia), Jason Boggess
- Y-Not Smokin Que, Decaturville, Dan Brandenburg
- Swiggin Pig, Lebanon, Barry Johnson
- High on the Hawg, Fayetteville, Terry Buchanan
- E T’s BBQ, Palatka (Florida), Eric Kretschman
- Team Hogweiser, Hazel Green (Alabama), Stan Jankowski
- Dirty South BBQ Co., Fayetteville, Troy Long
- 2 Live Cue, Fayetteville, Todd Brady
- Soggy Bottom, Corryton, Henry Devault
- The Specialists, Mountain Brook (Alabama), Chester Lewis
- Fat, Drunk & Stupid, Huntsville (Alabama), Laddy Ratliff
- Smokin” Sids, Winchester, Dan Sidley
- Opry Backstage Grillers, Nashville, Jason Carty
- Spookys BBQ, Nathan Dingman, Murfreesboro
- The 4th Little Pig, Michael Broom, Hartselle (Alabama)
- Tangled up in Q, Daniel M. Pomeranty, Nolensville
- The Low and Slow Smokers, Rick Morris, Shelbyville
- Smoke in the Grove, Todd Moss, College Grove
- Smokin Squires, Tony Mordesqewski, Flintville
- Hell on Squeals, Cliff Asby, Meridianville (Alabama)
- Creek Bank Smokers, Wes Young, Fayetteville
- South Ryland, Jimmy Roberts, Huntsville (Alabama)
- Pit Row BBQ, Rusty Weaver, Tuscumbia (Alabama)
- Stuff N’ Things, Jason Craighead, McMinnville
- Twin Cheeks BBQ, Keith Weber, Knoxville
- Hillbilly Soul BBQ, Edward Stevens, Sherwood
- Hit or Miss BBQ, Darrell Clark, Winchester
- Tasty Critters, Noah Sandmeyer, Fayetteville
- Fat Daddy’s Fine Swine, Jason Kail, Medina
- Toxic Q, Shane Henderson, Fayetteville
- The Smokin Hawgs, Casey Tucker, Huntland
- National Treasure, Jeff Hancock, Scottsboro (Alabama)
- BootLeg Smokers, James Cantrell, Belvidere