The building that houses Winchester City Hall is 100 years old this year.
The cornerstone, located at the right front corner of the building, is inscribed “William G. McAdoo, Secretary of the Treasury, Oscar Wenderoth, Supervising Architect, 1914.”
This very beautiful Colonial Revival style building projects a feeling of strength and quiet dignity.
Through the years, rooms at the back of the building were used by the W.P.A. Library, the Murfreesboro Production Credit Association, the Agriculture Extension Service, the United States Marine Corps for recruitment during World War II, the field office of the Social Security Board, and the Veterans Administration.
This building was used as Winchester’s Post Office until 1967, when it was leased by the City of Winchester for use as City Hall after the post office was moved to the new Federal Building on South Jefferson Street.
An addition was built at the rear of the building in 1970 to accommodate the Winchester Police and Fire departments and the Civil Defense Emergency Operation Center.
The property was purchased by the city from the General Services Administration in 1976 for $75,000.
Joy Gallagher, member of the Winchester Historical Preservation Committee, provided the information.