Christopher Maxwell

Christopher Maxwell

A Belvidere man is being held without bond after allegedly shooting his wife and two children Saturday afternoon at their 1620 Vernon Ridge Road residence in Belvidere, according to Franklin County Deputy Sgt. Chris Guess.

Christopher Maxwell, 48, is suspected of fatally shooting his 46-year-old wife, Holly Raquel Maxwell, before turning the weapon on his two children, Sheriff's Office reports said.

He is charged with first-degree murder, homicide, criminal attempt and aggravated child abuse and neglect. He has an initial court appearance set for March 5 in Franklin County General Sessions Court, reports said.

The children, two boys aged 13 and 14, survived and were transported by A&E Emergency Services LLC ambulances to Southern Tennessee Regional Health System-Winchester before being airlifted to Erlanger Baroness Hospital in Chattanooga and Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, officials said.

The older of the two children was flown to Erlanger by a Life Force Air Medical helicopter, and the younger victim was airlifted to Vanderbilt by a LifeFlight helicopter, officials said.

Guess said the children are in stable condition. He added that the boy at Vanderbilt was able to be interviewed by authorities after undergoing surgery. 

The shooting occurred just after 4:30 p.m. Saturday. Multiple agencies responded to the incident, including the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, the Lexie Crossroads Volunteer Fire Department, and A&E Emergency Services LLC.

While en route to the call, deputies were informed by dispatch that gunshots had been fired, reports said. Upon arrival, deputies entered the residence and found Mrs. Maxwell on the floor of the residence deceased, reports said.

Deputies also located the two boys adjacent to the residence, and they had also sustained gunshot wounds, reports said.

Deputies then, in the process of securing the scene, made contact with Mr. Maxwell in an adjacent milk barn, reports said, adding that he was taken into custody and transported to Southern Tennessee Regional Health System-Winchester for chest-pain treatment.