Members of the Franklin County High School boys and girls track and field teams competed in their sectional meet Friday at Riverdale High School.
The top four finishers in each event at the meet earned berths to the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association’s Division 1-Large state championship meet with eight Franklin County athletes meeting this qualifying standard.
Gracie Morse competed in four events at the sectional meet and did well enough to qualify for the state meet in three of them.
Morse took first place in both of the girls hurdles event as she completed the 100-meter hurdles in 15.15 seconds and the 300-meter hurdles in 45.77 seconds. Morse also took second place in the triple jump with a top distance of 34 feet, 2 inches.
Lee Steakley qualified for the state meet in the boys shot put as he finished second with a distance of 47 feet, 11 inches.
Kara McDaniel came through with a second-place finish in the girls 400-meter dash as she finished the event with a time of 1:01.27.
Kahlynia Vanzant earned a spot in the state meet in the girls 100-meter dash after crossing the finish line with a time of 12.67 seconds.
The girls 4x100-meter relay team of McDaniel, Destiny Russell, Amelia Myers and Paris Reed raced to a fourth-place finish in their event with a mark of 51.64 seconds.
NaShawn Holman notched a fourth-place finish in the boys 100-meter dash with a time of 10.941 seconds to earn a spot in the state meet. Holman crossed the finish line just 0.008 seconds ahead of Ooltewah's Edgar Lawrence for the final qualifying spot in the event.
In the team standings, the FC girls finished tied with Cookeville for second place with 54 team points for the meet. The Cleveland girls team took first place with 89 total points.
The FC boys placed 12th out of 28 teams with 28 points for the day while the Ooltewah boys finished first with 71 points.
Other performances and placements for Franklin County athletes at the sectional meet included:
- Lee Steakley, boys discus throw, 132 feet, 6 inches, fifth
- NaShawn Holman, Raymond Pirtle, Rylan Banks and Na’Zaiyah Holman, boys 4x100-meter relay, 43.46 seconds, fifth
- NaShawn Holman, boys 200-meter dash, 22.83 seconds, fifth
- Gracie Morse, girls long jump, 16 feet, 5 inches, sixth
- Erin Worthington, girls 1,600-meter run, 5:37.49, sixth
- Debron Russell, boys high jump, 5 feet, 8 inches, seventh
- Paris Reed, girls 200-meter dash, 27.27 seconds, eighth
- Na’Zaiyah Holman, boys 100-meter dash, 11.18 seconds, eighth
- Na’Zaiyah Holman, boys 200-meter dash, 23.01 seconds, eighth
- Amaya Rice, Amelia Myers, Destiny Russell and Kahlynia Vanzant, girls 4x200-meter relay, 1:52.49, ninth
- Kara McDaniel, girls 800-meter run, 2:34.57, ninth
- LT Taylor, Debron Russell, Ke’Andre Johnson and Raymond Pirtle, boys 4x200-meter relay, 1:36, ninth
- Chloe Bradford, girls triple jump, 30 feet, 4 inches, 10th
- Haley Summers, girls shot put, 30 feet, 1 inch, 11th
- Paris Reed, girls 100-meter dash, 13.53 seconds, 11th
- Destiny Russell, girls 200-meter dash, 28.36 seconds, 11th
- Sophie Roberts, girls 3,200-meter run, 14:12.87
- Morgan Ratcliffe, girls discus throw, 76 feet, 5 inches, 12th
- Erin Worthington, girls 800-meter run, 2:37.75, 12th
- Devin Johnson, boys 110-meter hurdles, 19.31 seconds, 12th
- Erin Worthington, Nora Daugherty, Zulema Martinez and Kara McDaniel, girls 4x800-meter relay, 12:04.71, 14th
- Daniel Heath, Braden Collins, Rylan Banks and Jayden Taylor, boys 4x800-meter relay, 10:03.56, 14th
- Ke’Andre Johnson, boys 110-meter hurdles, 20.64 seconds, 14th
- Jayden Taylor, boys 400-meter dash, 57.22 seconds, 14th
- LT Taylor, Thomas Toombs, Rylan Banks and Jayden Taylor, boys 4x400-meter dash, 3:47.46, 14th
- Madison Carr, girls discus throw, 69 feet, 9 inches, 15th
- Zulema Martinez, girls 1,600-meter run, 6:34.83, 15th
- Ada Watkins, Abby Phrommala, JoriLee Scott-Winton and Amelia Myers, girls 4x400-meter relay, 5:14.71, 15th
- Braden Collins, boys 3,200-meter run, 11:58.19, 15th
- Alaya Fuqua, girls shot put, 23 feet, 11 inches, 16th
- Daniel Heath, boys 800-meter run, 2:19.26, 16th
The qualifying members of the FCHS boys and girls track and field teams will next compete on May 27 in the TSSAA Division 1-Large state championship meet at Rockvale High School. The meet is scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m.