Kolbi Stewart

Huntland's Kolbi Stewart steps back for a pass during a game Friday against Eagleville High School. Stewart had 95 rushing yards, 23 passing yards, a rushing touchdown and a passing touchdown in the 19-13 loss.

The Huntland High School Hornets lost to the Eagleville High School Eagles 19-13 in overtime at home Friday in their opening game of the season.

The Hornets took an early lead in the contest, but the Eagles rallied to tie the game in the second half before beating Huntland in the extra period.

The Hornets had multiple turnovers inside the red zone throughout the game, and Huntland head football coach Bob Robertson said that those moments were major factors in the loss.

“We left 21 points on the field. When you play in these kinds of games, it comes back to bite you,” Robertson said. “It bit us tonight.”

The Hornets were able to force a punt on the opening drive of the game and they drove deep into enemy territory on their first offensive drive. However, that drive would end in the first of their two lost fumbles as the Eagles recovered the ball at their own 14-yard line.

The Hornets were able to finish their next drive off in a strong fashion as Kolbi Stewart connected with Bryson Turner on a 23-yard touchdown pass to take a 7-0 lead with eight minutes remaining in the first half.

The Hornets took the ball down the field again on their next drive with this one ending in a touchdown run by Stewart with 2:25 left on the clock for the second quarter. The ensuing point-after attempt would be unsuccessful due to a botched snap, but the Hornets still led 13-0.

The Eagles used every second left on the clock on their next drive as they scored their first touchdown with less than a second remaining in the first half.

The Hornets led 13-7 at halftime.

The Hornets drove inside the red zone to start the second half, but their drive would end in a blocked field goal. The Eagles promptly scored on the ensuing drive to tie the game at 13-13 with 10 seconds left in the third quarter.

The next drive for each team resulted in no points being scored as the Hornets lost another fumble at the 18-yard line and the Eagles were forced to punt.

The Hornets got the ball inside the 10-yard line with less than two minutes remaining in regulation. However, a pair of false start penalties would stall the drive and push them back.

The Hornets attempted a 37-yard field goal to take the lead with about a minute remaining, but the kick would go wide left.

The Eagles were not able to score in the final minute which sent the game into overtime with each team getting a possession from the 10-yard line under sudden-death rules.

The Hornets had the first possession, but they were not able to get the ball moving as they turned it over on downs.

The Eagles scored a few plays into their series to give the Hornets a walk-off loss.

Robertson said that there is still a lot his team needs to work on before their next game.

“We’ve got to block better, we’ve got to tackle better and the main thing is that we have to take advantage of opportunities when they’re out there,” Robertson said.

Stewart recorded 95 rushing yards and 23 passing yards for the Hornets in the contest.

Cameron Reed led the Hornets with 123 rushing yards for the day. Turner had 34 rushing yards to go along with his 23 receiving yards.

Payton Reed completed three of his four passes on the day for a total of 20 yards.

With the loss, the Hornets opened their season with a record of 0-1.

They will next play Friday at home against Jo Byrns High School. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.