Forbidding reckless gunfire

State Rep. Iris Rudder, R-Winchester, has proposed legislation to make it illegal to recklessly fire a gun in a crowded area, stemming from a July 4, 2025, incident at Twin Creeks Village where a man died after being struck by a stray bullet.

She has introduced House Bill 1757, which would create a Class A misdemeanor for recklessly firing a gun into the air, ground, water or nearby objects at public gatherings of 25 or more people.

“Reckless gunfire has no place in any celebration,” Rudder said in a published statement. “It is a dangerous and preventable act that has taken innocent lives, including one right here in our community.

“This legislation sends a clear message that carelessly firing a gun in crowded spaces will not be tolerated. We can support responsible gun ownership while standing firm against senseless actions that put our communities at risk.”

At present, reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon is a Class E felony offense, and the legislation would clarify and codify reckless or “celebratory” gunfire in crowded places to ensure accountability and strengthen public safety, a press release from Rudder’s office said.

The proposal includes several exceptions, including self-defense, hunting and shooting ranges. It also ensures the offense is covered in state-authorized handgun-safety courses.

House Bill 1757 advanced out of the Criminal Justice Subcommittee and was heard by the Judiciary Committee last week.

The proposal follows the tragic death of John Cobb, a 61-year-old Springfield resident who was struck by a stray bullet, seemingly fired in celebration, during a July 4, 2025, fireworks event near Tims Ford Lake.

Mr. Cobb was walking through Twin Creeks Village at the time he was struck by the bullet that evening.

He remained on life support before dying from his injuries. His organs were subsequently donated to those in need.

While receiving medical treatment, it was discovered that Mr. Cobb may have been struck by a bullet, according to Winchester police reports.

At the time, Police Chief Ritchie Lewis said authorities did not know whether the projectile had been fired from a regular firearm or an air rifle. He added that police didn’t suspect foul play, and the projectile could have been fired in the air and then fallen from the sky, striking Mr. Cobb.

Mr. Cobb’s wife, Michelle Cobb, released a statement, thanking concerned citizens for their thoughts and prayers while recounting what happened that day.

Mrs. Cobb said that she and her husband were celebrating the Fourth of July at Tim Ford Lake with family at Twin Creeks Marina. She added that a group of eight was walking along the road back to a gated area where they had rented a house when Mr. Cobb fell to the ground.

“We tried to get a response, and I turned him over,” Mrs. Cobb said. “Then I was able to administer CPR until the ambulance arrived. John was life-flighted to Vanderbilt Hospital where he has been on life support since.”

She said she knew Mr. Cobb was “instantly taken to heaven” as soon as he was hit “because there was never a response from him.”

Mrs. Cobb went on to say: “However, the fleshly yet faith-filled part of me wanted to believe that he was going to come back to me in the hospital. I did see movement three different times, and hope was stirred in my heart.

“However, it was explained to me that the movements were involuntary and something that commonly happens.”

Mrs. Cobb then shared that she and her husband had always been radical, faith-believing people because they had experienced many miracles during their 28year marriage.

She explained that he survived at a time when a tire-repair machine had blown up because he had turned his head at the moment of the explosion and only injured a finger.

Mrs. Cobb said she also has been personally lucky when being in harm’s way.

“I was hit with a transfer truck and dragged 762 feet, yet did not even break a fingernail,” she said. “I’ve been through breast cancer twice, and we had our miracle baby, Ashlynn, when I wasn’t even supposed to be able to get pregnant or carry her full term. Amazing, right?”

Though she hoped for another miracle, Mrs. Cobb explained her husband was taken off life support after being considered brain-dead.

She said her husband’s final gift was donating his organs to save others.

“We took our last walk together as he was taken to surgery, donating organs to three people who will have lives that they would never have expected,” Mrs. Cobb said.

She also shared a letter from Tennessee Donor Services, which revealed that Mr. Cobb’s liver and right kidney went to a 52-year-old man in Virginia, and his lungs went to a 58-yearold man in Tennessee.

“John was the most unselfish, giving man I have ever known, and I’m very proud to call him my husband,” Mrs. Cobb said. “Again, thank you so much for all of your prayers and love for John and our family.

“We will miss our vivacious, anointed, fullof- life husband, father and friend. We are so proud of you, John Cobb! I love you. I love you. I love you.”